The SoloMid XL is a little larger than the SoloMid and has an assymetrical shape. It offer about 70% of the user space behind the one center pole and the front 30% functions as a vestibule. This offset design allows entry and exit in rainy conditions to help keep the sleep side of the shelter dry like the DuoMid XL design.
ULTRA STRONG - FAST SET UP - SHEDS WIND FROM ALL DIRECTIONS
$265 17 oz Pro Silnylon Stealth Green, Gray , Yellow, Brown, OD Green
$465 13.5oz .75 Cuben Fiber - Dyneema Composite Fabric Highly Durable .75 oz sq/yd Style Cuben Fiber - Light Green or White
$465 12 oz .5 Cuben Fiber - (Dyneema Composite Fabric) White Only- CUSTOM ORDER- See More Info Below
112" / 285cm Long
54" / 135cm Wide
54" / 135cm Tall - Varies With Pitch Height.
35+ Sq Ft Usable Space
A single pole pyramid shelter offers the fastest set up of any lightweight shelter design and it does not have any large vertical side panels to buzz, hum, flap and roar in the wind like other two pole designs. It's a bomber shelter with 12 tie outs points if needed. The standard pitch uses 6 stakes.
• 1P+ Size: Room for you and all gear. Will fit a size XLong 78" X 25" sleeping pad for up to 6'5" users.
• Peak Vent - Very Large Vent is held open by flexible and removable wands. Can be closed - Just pull out the wand and press the velcro together.
• Great for moderate snow loads and strong wind FROM ANY DIRECTION
• MLD PRO Silnylon - Strong and Fully Waterproof - Triple Stitched Seams- 26kg tear strength - 4,000mm Waterproof
• Cuben version has all bonded main seams.
• #5 YKK Water Resistant Zipper w/ Storm Flap to keep zipper protected and as a deep back up if zipper damaged.
• Interior Apex Hang Loop + Exterior Apex Tieout loop
• Peak is reinforced with very tough Dyneema X in SIlNylon version and with thick multiple layers of bonded Cuben Fiber (Dyneema Composite Fabric) in the Cuben version.
• Both doors roll open either half way or fully open.
• 8 ground level perimeter tieouts with LineLocs. LineLocs make winter use with burried snow anchors MUCH easier. Can be removed to save about .8oz
• 4 center panels touts: Center front, rear and sides. Use the supplied bungee cord on there tieouts to reduce stress on the shelter. Only tighten very SLIGHTLY so the main bottom edge tieouts take most of the force - do not use to pull the panel out and change the shape of the mid. Always stake out this point last.
• Over head gear hang loops on all four main seams to clip up bivy hoods, lights, InnerNets or to make a clothesline.
• Works perfect with all 140cm adjustable poles. Free 6" pole jack included for shorter poles.
CUSTOM .5 Cuben Fiber- White Only
This Super UltraLight version uses a smaller #3 YKK WR Zipper. This lighter cuben fabric saves weight but is not as strong or durable. Not recommended for 4 season use. If you need a true 4 Season Pyramid for high wind or snow load pick the .75 Cuben or Pro SilNyon Versions. No warranty on this fabric option.
• Most of the time you will want to pitch the corners fairly tight to the ground with about a 6" corner guy line length. The middle long side edge tieouts can then be staked out to give good ventilation along the edge.
• One 140cm pole is needed- Use the supplied pole jack if you pole is shorter.
• ONLY zip the zipper up OR down when the bottom buckle is fastened to relieve stress on the zipper. Clean and Lube the Zipper as needed with ONLY Mc Nett Zip Care.
• Extra Ventilation Trick: Pitch the front and/or back side a bit loose and then use the middle tieout on a 3' line to pull the side out tight forming an large eyebrow shape edge to let under more air.
• Cut corner guylines at 2' and center ones at 3'- try it out - you may want to shorten them if you never expect to tie off dead men sticks in snow.
• ONLY zip the zipper up OR down when the bottom buckle is fastened to relieve stress on the zipper. Clean and Lube the Zipper as needed ONLY using Mc Nett Zipper Lube. NEVER use ear wax, olive oil, lip balm, beaver fat, armpit slime or vaseline.
MLD Pro SilNylon Seam Sealing
We send seam sealer with all our silnylon shelters.
You can do it yourself in about 30min with the supplied seam sealer
OR as an extra service we can do it for you!
Seam sealing adds about XXXoz/gms +/- 1oz depending on the shelter size.
Factory sealed shelters are returnable under the regular return policy.
DYI seam sealing is not.
We use a diluted 100% Silicone Sealer on the exterior stitching above the lower hem.
Factory seam sealing can add about 1 week to the order process.
***Cuben Shelters Do Not Need Seam Sealing***
• All shots include a 6'1" 185lb model and a full length 72" sleep pad.
• Included in some pictures is the optional Solo XL InnerNet - 10.5oz.
Q: What poles fit the SoloMid XL 2016?
A: One regular length 140cm or longer adjustable trek pole will work. Shorter poles can use the free pole jack.
Q: Which fabric type should I get? Cuben Fiber or SilNylon?
A: The main choice will be Cost vs Weight The .75 Cuben is very strong and has low stretch and low weight. Both fabrics are very durable and strong. The Silnyon will have a longer service life (about 500+ nights vs 250+ nights) and stuffs a little bit smaller. The .5 Cuben Fiber is for lighter 3 season use and for lowest possible weight and package size.
Q: Can I trim my SoloMid XL for lower weight?
A: Yes, by about 2.5oz : Remove all the linelocks and use only small loops of smaller diameter guyline, cut off metal zipper pulls and replace with short line loops to save about 1oz on the shelter and 1.5 oz on the guylines.