2017 Note: All MLD packs now feature both the over the top V strap ( Pictured) and the newer integrated roll top side compression straps (Cuben versions). The best of the Dyneema X packs and the Cuben Fiber versions. New pictures soon.
Packs are shipping in about 2 weeks.
Cuben Fiber/ Dyneema Non-Woven Versions of the Burn, Prophet and Exodus Packs
Full Featured Cuben Frameless Packs Under 15oz / 425 gms
Perfect for Loads Under 25lbs /11kg
BURN 11.5oz / 325gms $240
PROPHET 14oz /395gms $255
EXODUS 15oz / 425 gms $255
3.4oz sq/yd Cuben Fiber
4.5 oz Dyneema X used in high wear areas.
Dyneema X vs Cuben Fiber Versions
• Cuben version is seam taped inside for better water resistance. Keys areas are also liquid seam sealed. Not as water resistant as a dedicated River Style Dry Bag but does a good job for rain protection. Use of stuff sacks inside encouraged but no need for a pack liner or rain cover.
• Cuben is a little stiffer material making is a bit easier to load.
• Cuben version uses a roll top design integrated into the side compression system for simplicity.
• Cuben version does not have the bottom volume reduction loops, hydration ports or inside hang loops
• Cuben versions are the same size and constructed the same as the Dyneema versions.
• Cuben fabric does not absorb water, and the packs has slightly fewer straps so the pack will weight 1- 3 oz less when wet in prolonged rain.
• White interior is brighter to help spot gear inside in low light.
• AWESOME WHITE X COLOR!
• Cuben version uses a double thick lower back panel in Cuben + Dyneema X for abrasion resistance.
• Cuben versions are the same dimensions and use the same EVA padded shoulder and hip belts.
• Cuben versions weighs about the same.
Q: Why doesn't the Cuben version weigh a lot less than the Dyneema X version?
A: The amount of fabric in the main pack body is only about 40% of the total pack weight. Mesh pockets, straps, 3D mesh on straps, shoulder and hipbelt strap foam and hardware is about 60% of the total. The Cuben we use is fairly tough and weighs close to the same as the Dyneema X and so the packs total weight is about the same. We changed a few features but keep most for total function, strength and comfort.
Q: Is the LW LightWeight Suspension option available on the Cuben Packs?
A: Nope! For loads under 25lbs suspension is not needed.
Pictures show the Burn and the Exodus.
Picture in the woods on the 6'1" Hiker Boy is a LG Burn
Picture shows the add on options: Pack Lid, Pack Pockets and Shoulder Strap Pockets