MLD APEX Balaclava
ClimaShield Apex Synthetic Insulation : Warm When Wet
Two Thickness / Warmth Options
2oz sq/yd Apex Insulation Version
4oz sq/yd Apex Insulation Version
2oz Version $70
Total Weight (Med) 1.6oz / 45gms
Sleeping: 35 to 55 degrees F
Hiking: 15 to 35 degrees F
Users of the Spirit Quilt 48 and 38 will choose this one.
4oz Version $75
Total Weight (Med) 2.2oz / 62gms
Sleeping: 15 to 45 degrees F
Hiking: -10 to 25 degrees F
Users of the Spirit Quilt 28 will choose this one.
7 Reasons Why An Apex Synthetic Balaclava Beats Down Balaclavas
1: Apex is warmer when wet
2: Apex dries faster than down - if you might be wearing it 20+ hrs a day that is a big deal.
3. Less condensation build up if in constant use due to faster drying.
4: Apex is thinner than down at the same temp rating = More comfort inside a hooded jacket, helmet or mummy bag hood.
5: Much easier and faster to field wash and dry an Apex balaclava.
6: Fewer seams than a down balaclava = More Strength and More Water Resistance
7: Almost Zero % Allergenic compared to down
We will give down one point:
1: A Tiny Little Bit Lighter - by almost .3oz!!! for the same above 30degrees temp rating with equal hood design features.
Yes, it's sometimes true you could save .3oz by going down, but it it worth it?
SO - Even if you are using a down bag, down hoodless jacket or down backcountry sleep quilt we think going with an Apex Synthetic Balaclava is a wise choice.
21.75- 23" Head Circumfernce
Most Women and Small/Medium Men
> 23" Head Circumfernce
Most Men and Women With Thick Hair
Measure head around head at eyebrow and just above ears.
If In Doubt SIZE UP
• MLD's 2015 Mountain 10d X 10d Micro Ripstop 3X DWR fabric .72oz sq/yd
• Absolute minimum of stitched seams = More strength and water resistance.
• Adjustable drawcord face hole can be cinched over eyes for sleeping or around glasses /goggles for hiking- DUH - If it can not be cinched down all around how you gonna keep eyeballs from freeeezzin'?
• Underarm bungee cords hold hood secure and keeps it straight and centered over face.
• Extra Long and wide neck and back tounges to prevent drafts when used with a hoodless quilt.
• Most users of lightweight synthetic and down hoodless backcountry quilts will choose this style of balaclava.
• Pair the lighter weight version with a thin stretch face mask style sub 1oz balaclava to form a versatile layering system for all conditions above 10 degrees. That combo add about 5 - 10 degree of comfort above the Apex balaclava temp rating.
• Note that Apex synthetic insulation is warmer than down at the same thickness and so is not as bulky if using inside a hooded jacket or hooded mummy bag.
We suggest that even if you use a down sleeping bag/quilt you consider using only an Apex Balaclava - Two Main Reasons:
1: Synthetic is warm when wet and dries much faster than down. Head insulation is critical and an APEX balaclava only weighs about .3oz more than a down balaclava of the the same temp rating with similar design features.
2: Head sweat, breath vapor drool condensation crud etc, hair oils and ear dirt can be easily cleaned out of a synthetic balaclava in the field and air dry much faster than down. It can even be wrung out and worn damp to dry via head warmth while hiking.