NOTE: See the MLD Homepage for info on order wait times. Quilt orders may take up to 7 weeks.
A True Ultra Lightweight Specialists Tool
Design Goal: Develop a multi function piece of all weather synthetic insulation that could be used to extend the range of 2-3 season lightweight sleeping and clothing gear.
ClimaShield Apex Synthetic = Warm When Wet.
M Quilt Function:
• 2/3 quilt for warmer temps with or without an insulated jacket when a full sleeping bag is too warm.
• 2/3 over quilt over the bottom of a 2 or 3 season sleeping bag/quilt to boost it's lower temp rating.
• Shorty Hammock under quilt for milder 45-60 degree temps when you have an empty pack or small foam pad to use under lower legs.
• Extra or Emergency upper body insulation. Poncho Design- Can be worn under a rain jacket.
• FKT and Adventure Race insulation at absolute minimum weight/space perfect for shorter polyphasic 24hr-72hr race sleep cycles.
2oz sq/yd Apex Insulation
Boosts a quilt/bag rating 10-20 degrees
• Most users will get this thickness.
• Using this over a 35 degree down bag + an light jacket + balaclava will boost the sleep system rating about 15 degrees.
• Use alone with a light jacket inside a DWR bivy sack for temps down to about 50 degrees
4oz sq/yd Apex Insulation
Boosts a quilt/bag rating 20-25 degrees
Size Measured Flat
Weights/Size +/- 5%
Shell Fabric and Lining Fabric:
MLD Endurance 10d X 10x 3xDWR RipStop .74 oz sq/yd
Climashield Apex Synthetic Continious Insulation
Black Color Only = Speed Drying
ClimaShield APEX is the most thermally efficient synthetic quilt insulation avialable. It drapes, compresses and recovers extremely well and does not requiring through-stitching baffles to stabilize the insulation- that eliminates compressed sewn areas and prevents cold spots.
MLD Endurance 10d X 10d 3xDWR The very best lightweight sleeping bag fabric available. It has a high thread count density for strength. See Fabrics Mojo Page. Our 3xDWR shell and lining fabrics are an important part of the thermal equation. The liner and shell are tuned for air permeability to limit condensation and slow heat transfer to boost the the overall warmth rating.
Can be used over ALL other bags to boost temp ratings because the circumference can be adjusted. Use it over a 2- 3 season down bag and wear a light insulated jacket inside the bag to boost the overall system temp rating.
This over bag system helps keep an inner bag dry. In below freezing weather insensible perspiration from your body or wet clothing cools as it moves through the sleep system and condenses back to liquid water near the colder outer surface. By using a synthetic quilt over a lighter /thinner down inner bag, the down bag stays dry and if any moisture condenses in the the synthetic quilt it dries faster and retains heat when wet.
• Hammock Under Quilt Use Ready : Corner webbing loops for use as a hammock under quilt.
• Head and Foot elastic cord sleeves with anchored no-fumble cord locks at each end.
• Snaps close the foot end.
• Two upper removable dual sided adjustable back straps.
• Quilt can be reversed to use inside out if one side gets wet.